Pieter Visser's X350

Share details of your Whisper project with the community.
Pieter001
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Pieter Visser's X350

Post by Pieter001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 am

We turned the wings over so I can work on the lower part of the spar box. Cut the plywood load spreaders and glued them in with a good bed of flox to bed into.
Checking the holes and areas for the aileron bell crank. Had lovely rain, but I could not sand the wing spar planks. Hopefully tomorrow and I also hope to get the PTFE tape I ordered, as I would like to put a strip on the sides of the wing spar planks where the wing spars come together in the spar box.
20180209_165238.jpg
Wings turned over for bottom of spar box work
Attachments
20180211_140502.jpg
Plywood load spreaders set flush in a bed of flox

Pieter001
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Pieter Visser's X350

Post by Pieter001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am

I managed to hurt my back when lifting the spar box with both wings attached, not a clever move :roll: The result was a couple of very unproductive days and a couple of visits to the chiro.
I did fit the wing tie down long nuts ;) Drilled the holes to 12.5mm and just deeper than the long nut so that it beds about 2mm under the wing skin. I glued the top of the nut closed by screwing a bolt to the required depth. When this had cured (put it in the oven @ 50 degrees to speed it up) I wet out the 12.5mm hole with resin on a earbud. Then made a flox mixture and glued the nuts into the holes while rotating them during insertion. I left bolts in them and filled the 2mm at the top with the flox mixture. During the green phase I unscrewed the bolts and trimmed off the resin around the holes. I'll micro the areas to finish them, but it looks great. I'll use 8mm grub screws to block these holes during normal operation.
20180211_203020.jpg
Drilled to 12.5mm and 2860mm from the root and 645mm from the aileron trailing edge on the bottom of wing
20180216_184424.jpg
RH tie down
20180216_184438.jpg
LH tie down
Last edited by Pieter001 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pieter001
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Pieter Visser's X350

Post by Pieter001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am

Today I cut the 4 layers of 410gr bi-ax E-glass for the spar box. This is because I made the foam spacers yesterday and after I've covered them with packaging tape, I used flox to "bead" them into position in the spar box. As mentioned, the spar box I painfully set up on Monday. With a few hours of day left, I decided to finish the layup :D All went well 8)
20180216_184257.jpg
Lower end of spar box bottom section
20180216_184317.jpg
Finished with peel ply and packaging tape visible through the 4 layers 410gr
20180216_184325.jpg
Will use a flox bed to even the surface for the plywood load spreader to come

Pieter001
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Pieter Visser's X350

Post by Pieter001 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Houston we have a problem... :lol:

The wing spar stubs are such a close fit with the polystyrene spacers that I could not get the wings out of the spar box :shock:

I decided that brute force, tugging, pulling, pushing and all sorts is likely not going to get me anywhere (I tried ;)). So, I slept over it and this morning I got the car jack and problem solved (without using a big hammer) :lol:

Once the spar box is free, I'll clean up and sand the square edges and then fabricate and glue in the plywood spacers and UD.
20180218_094101.jpg
Getting a gap
20180218_094115.jpg
Using the car jack to separate the wing from the spar box
20180218_095129.jpg
Done and polystyrene spacers visible and loose, but I cannot get it out yet as taped to the opposite side too

Pieter001
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Pieter Visser's X350

Post by Pieter001 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 am

Why does there always have to be a really hard one and why does it always happen to be the last one?

I thought getting the first wing out the spar box was hard, but heavens, number 2 was a dusi! Simply because with the first wing out, there is now no anchor for the jack to push against. I tried all sorts, but to no avail. Eventually I had a Red Bull, sat back and watched this dilemma from another angle... I put the wing bolt back in the spar box on the side where there is now no wing. The idea is to use the bolt as an anchor. I then measured a piece of plank to be 60mm long and inserted that into the spar box so it pushes on the remaining wing's spar stub. Using this method I got the wing free! Maybe Red Bull does give you wings :D

:idea: Personal motivation: Perseverance will give you a Whisper :wink: :lol: !

No photo of this process, sorry, to few hands to hold and pic all at once :(
Note: It took considerable force to break this polystyrene and free the wing from the box, an amazing amount :shock: :shock:
20180218_173006.jpg
Jippee, spar box finally free and ready for the next steps
20180218_173634.jpg
Spend quite a bit of time making the plywood load spreader and getting the shape and spacing right

Post Reply